Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Good Body

Last Thursday my aunt declared ladies night. She got tickets for all us ladies to the play 'The Good Body'. Its a play written by Eve Ensler and is staged for the first time here in Malaysia.The preface:
In the midst of a war in Iraq, in a time of escalating global terrorism, when civil liberties are disappearing as fast as the ozone layer, when one out of three women in the world will be beaten or raped in her life time, why write a play about my stomach?

Maybe because my stomach is one thing I feel I have control over, or maybe because I have hoped that my stomach is something I could get control over. Maybe because I see how my stomach has cometo occupy my attention, I see how other women’s stomachs or butts or thighs or hair or skin have cometo occupy their attention, so that we have very little left for the war in Iraq—or much else, for that matter.

I sat right up after that. Hey, sometimes a breakout on the face does seem like the biggest problem in the world... and now that its being compared to a war in Iraq, I am rather shameful of it. But then the play goes on and on about how obsessed some women get and I suppose it must relate to most women in the audience because they were truly moved by it (It didnt help that I was pretty much possibly the only woman there from my generation). But I shouldnt think it too silly too soon... two decades down the road and with gravity working its magic, I may as well think ahead.

The play goes on for about 90 minutes making a point of women's obsession. It forces us to look at ourselves who may be in denial....Alas, exhausted by all the self-body hatred I was left to draw only one conclusion: love the imperfections of yourself and only then will it be hidden; either that or take those imperfections as those things that defines you.

A
t the end of the play, there were some short monologues of women who actually loved their body as it is. They were not the 'ideal' beauty but their self-loving ways and their confidence and optimism made them very beautiful. So you see, anyone with the right mindset and attitude can be beautiful. Very beautiful indeed ;)

The play runs till the 28th of June. Click for info.

^8

No comments: